Monday, April 2, 2012

SLUMBERLAND


Lately slumber consumes me gently at most inopportune places. I give in meekly. This can happen at office, parties, at more than one occasion while driving. My slumber makes no discrimination.

But inside my own home, I suffer from insomnia. Now to the extent that my body is started to complain. I suffered palpation one late night that was not nice. It was an anxiety attack. Though, consciously I have dealt with thorny issues of my life fairly well. I guess subconscious mind plays tricks on me.

I got all the medical tests done. Nothing exciting came out of it. The doctor attending to me was perplexed: "Given that you are a scribe for nearly ten years now, you are doing fairly well." He advised to resume jogging and gave some calcium supplements.


 Picture: Julian Parr

I agree with Ernest Hemingway: I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know? Henry David Thoreau dealt with his insomnia in this was: I put a piece of paper under my pillow, and when I could not sleep I wrote in the dark. Well I have a far better idea, attend parties. Parties relax me. I don't mind sleeping in a crowd.

Woddy Allen made a strange suggestion: The lion and the calf shall lie down together but the calf won't get much sleep. But why would the calf lie down to sleep together with the lion?  I am taking it too literally. WC Fields says, The best cure for insomnia is to get a lot of sleep. Well, I didn't know that.



Life is like that. I sleep when I should be partying. I fret when I should be sleeping.


1 comment:

  1. Your doctor is so right! Health comes first. Probably your workplaces define your comfort zone, which makes you feel safe to fall asleep:)

    ReplyDelete